Hornby Magazine Yearbook No 5 is completely themed around the former Midland Railway main line through the Derbyshire peak district to Manchester. The arrival of the Bachmann Midland Pullman in both OO and N gauge during 2012 make this a very topical theme.
Editor Mike Wild and regular magazine contributor Phil Parker take us through the construction of the Hornby magazine project layout Topley Dale. there are several articles on Topley Dale
- Planning Topley Dale
- Baseboard construction
- Track laying and electrics
- Building road and rail bridges based on the Wills viaduct kit
- Utilising the Airfix signal box kit
- Developing the scenery
- Rolling stock and operation of Topley Dale
Coverage of Topley Dale is comprehensive and Hornby Magazine Yearbook No 5 is a self contained guide to building a working model railway from start to finish.
Other contents of Hornby Magazine Yearbook No 5 follow the midland main line theme and include:
- Evan Green-Hughes discussing LMS 4-6-0s and the scenic route through the peak from Ambergate to Chinley
- Bob Essery takes a look at the operation of the Midland ‘Peak’ line
- Mike Wild weathers the Hornby Fowler 2P 4-4-0
- Phil Parker shows how to renumber locomotives
- The Hornby Magazine gallery featuring the best layouts from Hornby magazine throughout the year
- Reviews of the Bacnmann Midland Pullman set.
- A review of the year 2011-2012; a bumper year for new releases and announcements
- Mike Wild previews releases from the major manufacturers for 2013
Although the Hornby Magazine Yearbook No 5 is effectively a thirteenth issue of the magazine, it is presented in casebound format as a standalone book, rather than as a magazine or bookazine as produced by competitors. It forms a great companion to Hornby Magazine and there is something there for both the beginner and the reasonably experienced modeller.
The Hornby Magazine Yearbook forms a great christmas present and yearbook no 6 is already available to pre-order for November delivery.